About Phil HELMES
Philip Helmes has over 40 years of practical project management experience. He has performed over 280 independent analyses and evaluations on project types and issues ranging from mid-sized private initiatives to complex multi-billion-dollar capital project engagements, acting as a design engineer, contractor, independent project inspector, owner’s representative, and developer.
His project forensic analysis services span all stages of project development, from preliminary planning through final closeout. His specialty includes root cause and investigative analysis, engineering and construction project management assessments, scheduling and productivity analysis, cost estimating and damage analysis, and technical expertise in the Engineering, Construction, and Permitting sectors.
His portfolio includes projects in the commercial, residential, hospitality, cultural, manufacturing, oil & gas, energy/power, infrastructure and transportation, and water/wastewater treatment sectors. Additionally, Phil provides expert witness testimony in the areas of engineering and construction project management, schedule delay, productivity losses, project management standard of care, and damages.
Testimony settings include depositions, mediations, arbitrations, hearings, and trials. In addition, he is adept at identifying and managing technical experts, developing trial exhibits, and providing consulting support in engineering, construction, and real estate developments.
10+ YEARS WITH FIRM | 40+ YEARS IN INDUSTRY
Phil HELMES is a Senior Principal at SOCOTEC and has held various other positions within the organization since 2008. Prior to his current position, Mr. HELMES was a Principal & Regional Director at Veritas Advisory Group which was acquired by SOCOTEC in 2019.
- Master of Business Administration – University of Connecticut
- Bachelor of Science in Civil and Structural Engineering – Syracuse University
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Boston Society of Civil Engineers (BSCE)
- MOLES 20 Year Member
- Certified Professional Engineer:
- CT, FL, LA, MA, MD, NJ, NY, SC, OH, WA, WY
- Helmes, P., Crow, D., Long, C., “Rulesof Engagement: Effective Construction Scheduling,” DRI for the Defense, March 2016.
- Helmes, P., Bhagnani, K., Lee, S., Peña-Mora “ProactiveCoordination to Reduce Structural Steel Delays,” ASCE Construction Research Congress, Bahamas, ASCE, 2007.
- Guest Lectured at MIT, University of Michigan and University of Illinois
Testimony Forums & Venues
- State Courts
- American Arbitration Association (AAA)
- Dispute Resolution
- Project Advisory
- Expert Witness Testimony
- Preparation & Evaluation of Claims
- Construction & Project Management Assessment
- Root Cause Analysis
- Schedule / Delay Analysis
- Acceleration / Disruption Analysis
- Productivity Analysis
- Cost Estimating & Damages Analysis
- Standard of Care
- Owner’s Representative
- Technical Report Writing