The House at Cornell Tech
For the House at Cornell Tech project, our team developed highly efficient wall and fenestration details, with special emphasis on thermal bridging reduction, air tightness and vapor movement control.
Project name: The House at Cornell Tech
Date: Completed 2017
Clients: The Hudson Companies Incorporated
Location: New York, New York, USA
Size: 270,000 square feet
Talk to our experts
Working closely with the entire team, Vidaris helped to develop details to satisfy Passive House requirements while managing the constructability, construction sequencing and budget. Our team developed highly efficient wall and fenestration details, with special emphasis on thermal bridging reduction, air tightness and vapor movement control. These details were cost-effective, given close coordination with the fabricators and contractors.
Vidaris also assisted with translating and incorporating European requirements into project documents, including specifications and architectural drawings, which helped to ensure details, like air barriers and insulation, met requirements. Because Passive House has conceptual standards that are catered to 1-2 story buildings, Vidaris helped drive the discussion to develop alternative compliance methodologies which allowed the adaptation to high rise construction.
The House at Cornell Tech is a 26-story tower with 352 residences for students, staff and faculty. It includes many amenities including a gym, lounge, roof deck and media rooms. At its completion, the project became the world’s tallest and largest Passive House building, using up to 70% less energy than a conventional high-rise. The building envelope is characterized by its innovative 9-by-36-foot metal panels with 8 to 13 inches of insulation. The project earned a LEED for Homes Multifamily High-Rise Platinum rating as well as Passive House. The project is valued at $115 million.
- Finalist, Architecture + Sustainability - Architizer A+ Awards, 2018
- American Architectural Award - Museum of Architecture and Design and The European Centre for Architecture Art Design and Urban Studies, 2018
- Open City Award - Open House New York (OHNY), 2018
- Project of the Year, LEED Home Awards - U.S. Green Building Council, 2018
- Finalist, Excellence in Development - ULI New York, 2018
- American Architecture Award, The Chicago Athenaeum Museum of Architecture and Design, 2017
- Award of Honor, Design Award - Society of American Registered Architects National, 2017
- Award of Excellence - Society of American Registered Architects, 2016
- Best Student Housing Project - Build Magazine, 2015