Renewable Energy Solutions
SOCOTEC assists clients in capturing financially attractive, well-integrated energy efficiency and renewable energy opportunities. The practice draws upon our holistic approach in building enclosure systems, mechanical systems, roofing and waterproofing systems, and their integration with a Client’s sustainability and energy efficiency goals. SOCOTEC’s dedicated Renewable Energy Division works with our in-house consulting practices to identify and advance renewable energy opportunities.
Renewable Energy Experience
SOCOTEC works with clients and their design teams to define and realize their energy and sustainability goals. Our team members have deep experience with a variety of project sizes and types, in different phases of the design and construction through the commissioning process.
Starting with early discussions during the design process, SOCOTEC provides consulting services to focus on the planning and sustainability impacts of renewable energy integration.
Past project experiences include:
- Planning for renewable energy integration of 33kW-DC at the multi-family residential tower, The Solaire in Battery Park City
- Advising a private developer on the solar photovoltaic opportunities at a proposed urban shopping center
- Advising architectural firms on the orientation of building-integrated façade projects.
Project Feasibility / Analysis
We can provide detailed feasibility analysis services which combine our expertise in system design with initial estimates of the financial implications of the investment in renewable energy systems (payback, incentives, estimated cost), with the goal of helping the client determine whether a project is viable for further design and implementation.
Our team’s photovoltaic feasibility project experience includes:
- Analysis of a 900 kW-DC photovoltaic system on a Federal office building in Washington, DC
- A 550 kW-DC photovoltaic system on an arena in Brooklyn, NY
- A 500 kW-DC photovoltaic system for the Wachovia Headquarters in Charlotte, NC,
- A 500 kW-DC on two buildings for Novartis’ campus in East Hanover, NJ.
Our team’s wind energy feasibility project experience includes:
- Building-integrated wind at 375 Pearl Street in New York, NY
- Tower-mounted wind at McGraw-Hill’s campus in East Windsor, NJ
As part of a client’s design team, we can provide design services from schematic design through construction documents, in coordination with the client’s Architect, MEP Engineer, Structural Engineer, and Sustainability Consultant. As an independent third-party representative for the client, we are not tied to any project’s specific products or manufacturers and offer design solutions for competitive bids that meet the performance, aesthetic, and financial goals as put forth by the client and design team.
Talk to our experts
Photovoltaic Project Design Experience
World Cup Stadium
System Size: 2.5 MW-DC
PPA –Municipal Properties
Location: New York, NY
System Size: 1.9 MW-DC
Location: United States
System Size: 1.5 MW-DC
House of Industry
System Size: 43 kW-DC
Construction Administration Services
SOCOTEC ensures quality throughout the implementation process with our construction administration services, including bidding and negotiation support, shop drawing review, and QA/QC monitoring during installation.
Our construction administration on projects including:
- 17 kW-DC building-integrated canopy and façade at The Helena in New York, NY
- 40 kW-DC systems at Liberty Green and Liberty Luxe in Battery Park City, NY
- 50 kW-DC systems at the Suffolk County Police Department in Long Island, NY
- 50 kW-DC systems at the BIPV at Public School 276 in Battery Park City, NY
- Rooftop photovoltaic system on the Myrtle Hall building at Pratt Institute
- Building-applied PV at Gateway Community College in New Haven, CT
Performance Verification & System Commissioning Services
SOCOTEC provides performance verification and system commissioning services to help our clients capitalize on the financial and environmental benefits that their renewable energy systems offer. Our commissioning services include field evaluations and review of testing protocols, monitoring of operations and maintenance practice development and implementation, and troubleshooting faults or system errors that may occur.
We have provided commissioning services for photovoltaic projects including:
Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center
Location: New York, NY
System Size: 6 kW-DC photovoltaic system
Location: Battery Park City, NY
System Size: 27 kW-DC building-applied photovoltaic array
Private Airplane Hangar and Office
System Size: 71 kW-DC rooftop photovoltaic system