About Jeffrey SOMERLOT
As President and leader of the ATIC business for SOCOTEC, Mr. Somerlot heads the Building Envelope, Energy and Code Advisory service lines. A recognized expert in exterior façade consulting and partner on some of the highest profile buildings in the US and around the globe, since 2003 he has been a trusted advisor and collaborator to developers, architects, and manufacturers on every aspect of complex envelope development.
Mr. Somerlot’s extensive knowledge of a variety of technologies and systems help clients recognize potential risks, navigate issues before they occur, and save on overall development costs. He diligently balances functionality, performance, and durability, with a constant eye on maximizing every building’s aesthetics. He has additionally been involved in several large forensic investigations for owners and a variety of clients focused on determined root cause failures and remediations.
His areas of proficiency include unitized curtain wall, window-wall, punched window and architectural precast panels; complex technologies including ornamental & structural glass, storefront packages, natural stone cladding, overclad/reclad; and below grade and above grade assemblies for roofing and waterproofing. He has successfully guided projects with elective sustainability requirements including LEED, NYC Zone Green, Enterprise Green Communities, as well as several of the largest Passive House projects in the US.
14 YEARS WITH FIRM | 18 YEARS IN INDUSTRY
Jeffrey SOMERLOT is the President at SOCOTEC and has held various other positions within the organization since 2003. Prior to his current position, Mr. SOMERLOT was the President at Vidaris, Inc., formerly Israel Berger & Associates, which was acquired by SOCOTEC in 2019. Mr. SOMERLOT was previously employed at Flatiron Consulting Group, Inc.
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering – Syracuse University –2002
- Professional Engineer in: DC, FL, IL, MA, MD, NJ, NV, NY, PA, TX
- Registered Architect in: NJ, NY
- Certified Energy Manager, 2010
- Certified Welding Inspector, 2009
- American Welding Society (AWS)
- National Council of Architectural Registration Boards
- National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying
- New Construction
- Existing Buildings / Restoration & Repair
- Special Inspection
- One Vanderbilt, New York, NY
- 77-story, 1.7M SF Class-A office tower is an iconic addition to midtown Manhattan. Completed under budget and ahead of schedule, this terra cotta and glass tower soars just over 1400 feet tall, the second tallest office tower in NYC at time of completion, and features 4 tapering blocks that interlock and end at different heights and a retail podium at the base. It is pursuing LEED Platinum v3, LEED Gold v4 and WELL Gold certification.
- 425 Park Avenue, New York, NY
- Tapered, steel-frame office tower that rises 41 stories. Its glassy design is comprised of three volumes: a seven-story base, a recessed central section, and a slender tower of offices at the top, with a sloped amenity wall and exterior metal cladding featuring a diagrid pattern. The tower features triple-height sky gardens between each volume, a 45-foot-tall lobby and a 38-foot-tall penthouse, as well as a two-level public restaurant.
- 55 Hudson Yards, New York, NY
- Located in the East Rail Yards (ERY) section of Hudson Yards, this 1.3 million sf project incorporates layout flexibility and terraces, 10,000 sf of retail space and close proximity to the subway, sitting atop the subway line. SOCOTEC consulted and monitored the unique and distinctive orthogonal, gunmetal-colored facade as well as the rest of the building’s envelope, including the concrete frame and consistent grid of window modules.
- World Trade Center Towers 1, 2, 3, and 7, New York, NY
- Winthrop Center, Boston, MA
- One Manhattan West, New York, NY
- 390 Madison, New York, NY